- Intuitive and
interactive 3D visual effects design environment. Ideal for in-context,
creative decision-making and brainstorming.
- 16x9 user
interface enhances workflow. Object node bin and Object menu make it
easier to add and control elements in the scene.
unlimited media layers at any image resolution or aspect ratio. Layer
effects can be quickly copied from one layer to another.
- 3D particle systems for realistic effects ranging from rain and snow to smoke and explosions.
deformation, meshes, displacement mapping, and extended bicubics for
full control and manipulation of 2D surfaces and 3D models.
- Instant duplication of animations by applying settings to other objects.
cameras with true-to-life, user-definable lenses and camera properties
such as depth-of-field. Animate and switch between camera views. Each
layer offers independent camera placement and animation for
- Import 3D geometry, including NURBS
objects, lights, and camera data from 3D animation packages using
Autodesk® FBX® interchange format. Export camera data, axis positions,
and 3D point clouds via FBX.
- Multiple animatable light sources.
- Integrated 2D and 3D tracking and stabilization.
- Texture mapping with material property and shading controls. Map or project textures onto objects.
- Integrated 3D character generator for advanced text creation.
- Import Adobe® Photoshop® PSD files directly into Action while maintaining layers, blend modes, and transparency.
- Fully interoperable with DVE setups from Autodesk® Smoke® editing and finishing systems.
- Multitrack clip support automatically builds an Action setup from the video tracks of the clip.
Keying and Rotoscoping
Keyer—advanced keying technology. Intuitively refine the key by
gesturally modifying the matte. Automatic color spill removal and edge
blending. Advanced grain removal, specifically tuned to blue and green
- Keyer—fast, accurate RGB, YUV, HLS, RGBCMYL, and
custom keying; linear and user-definable keying capabilities with full
luminance remapping, softness, shrink, and erode; advanced spill
suppression and edge color replacement capabilities.
accurate edge-keying tool. Based on GMasks, it is ideal for keying
hair, fur, and other finely detailed object boundaries not necessarily
shot on green or blue screen.
integrated paint system for advanced motion graphics, digital matte
painting, rotoscoping, wire removal, image retouching, and more.
- Fully customizable, user-definable brushes.
- Record and animate brush strokes. Create and animate color gradients, vector shapes, and cutouts.
- Load mattes to protect areas of the clip during painting.
node integrated in Batch for easy painting or touch-up of any element
in a complex scene. Paint, blur, reveal, or clone layers or mattes and
feed the result to any downstream node while viewing in context. Change
source clips without having to repaint strokes.
Tracking and Stabilization
- Precise motion analysis for 2D tracking of position, scale, and rotation—track up to 1,000 points in a single pass.
tracking features include fully editable tracking data, reverse
tracking, keyframe locking, field-based analysis, and curve smoothing
- Tracked data can be automatically applied to image
layers, GMask shapes, Warper meshes, Distort splines, and Paint brush
Warper™ functionality performs primary and selective color correction,
enabling precise fine-tuning with multiple levels of adjustment in a
- Interactive adjustment of gamma, gain, offset,
hue, saturation, and contrast. Apply animatable settings to all
channels or independently to R, G, and B.
- Intuitive hue shift
and tint color wheel for fast, accurate color balancing. Visual color
sampling palette for precise color matching. Interactive Histogram and
Curves editing modes for subtle, precision tweaking of color
- Independent controls for color correcting the
image’s shadow, midtone, and highlight regions—features user-definable
- “Match” feature for fast scene-to-scene color correction.
- “Selective” feature for sampling up to three different color regions for isolated correction.
interface features include three pressure-sensitive trackballs, a
high-quality RGB vector scope, and a 3D histogram for precise color
2D and 3D Text
- Create title rolls, crawls, slates, text animations, text along a path, text effects, and more.
- Support for Adobe Type 1 PostScript®, Microsoft® OpenType®, Apple® TrueType® fonts, Asian (CID) fonts, ASCII text file import, and extended Unicode font sets.
- Full formatting and layout capabilities, spell checking, custom dictionaries.
- Easy generation of matte layers.
- 3D text creation and animation in Action module.
Warping and Morphing
- Choice of mesh- or spline-based tools for intuitive, interactive warping and morphing.
- Distort workflow enhanced for improved control of desired result. Multiple splines can be animated independently.
and morph stationary or moving elements. Animate splines, mesh points,
and axes with tracking data to automatically fit motion, scale, and
- Lens distortion tool applies or removes distortion artifact to a clip for integration with other footage.
- Open splines in distort transform image distortions quickly and more efficiently. NEW
Image Processing: Plug-ins, Filters, and Optics
- Filters including sharpen, soften, emboss, and glow, as well as user-customizable convolution filter matrices.
- Lanczos filtering provides high-quality resizing when down-scaling images, preserving edge detail during image resizing. NEW
- Pixel math operators and blend modes for limitless compositing effects.
analysis tool produces forward and reverse motion vectors. Motion Blur
provides motion-estimated timewarps and motion blurs. Selectively set
object blur based on relative motion.
- Support for hundreds of third-party ADN Sparks® plug-ins.
flowchart representation of the compositing workflow and clip history
to display all operations performed on a clip, allowing for easy
editing of complex visual effects.
- Monitor downstream results with in-context viewers. Show the result at selected nodes while modifying others.
- Custom node bins save effects that you create so you can reapply them at will.
grouping with user-definable group display settings. Cleanly organizes
the schematic display while permitting rapid switching between node
- RGB Blur to create Box, Gaussian, Radial, and Directional blurs.
- Glow node used for creating stylized animations, lighting simulations, and glows. NEW
editing timeline with multiple video and audio tracks offers in-context
editing, time warping, and synchronized audio. Unlimited vertical
timeline editing with nested containers and multiple layers for complex
visual effects. Render all soft effects in a clip from Autodesk Smoke.
Create new Timewarp, Resize, Blend, and audio soft effects in the Batch
- Improved source and record timeline editing workflow.
- Segment FX permits uncommitted visual effects to be dropped into any edited timeline segment.
- Proxy processing allows for fast interaction even when working at the highest resolutions.
caching and bypassing functions allow automatic or user-defined
pre-rendering of parts of the composite, increasing interactivity.
with all the power of Unix. Scripts can be used to automate tasks
ranging from email notification of render completion to generating
- Batch Log and Queue Management handle
workflow by setting up and prioritizing multiple-render jobs at once
and monitoring progress on a web browser.
- Unified channel editor allows animation curves for different effects to be displayed and modified simultaneously in Batch.
- Digital notepads can be used to annotate nodes and provide reminders and instructions for further work.
Batch to apply effects to a single timeline segment before SoftFX®
filters are applied (pre-segment), or to the result of a vertical
compositing /soft effects (post-segment). NEW
navigation view mode provides a visual representation of the entire
Batch effects tree resulting in a given Batch effects segment. NEW
paint is designed for a procedural compositing environment and includes
settings to define how paint strokes are applied to the image sequence,
the ability to slip the reveal frame offset, as well as the ability to
adjust the scale of paint strokes. NEW
- Autodesk® Stone® Direct storage solution—high-speed fiber channel storage solutions for real-time access to high-resolution media.
- Autodesk® Stone® FS software—advanced file system guarantees performance and reduces fragmentation risks.
- Autodesk® Wiretap™ technology—API provides convenient access to Stone FS file system by third-party applications.
- RAID 5 protection from data loss of audio and video media, and nonobstructive background healing.
- Supports Autodesk® Backdraft® Conform—an assistant utility for project and media management, I/O, conform, and editing.
- Autodesk® Wire®
networking for visual browsing and high-speed transfer of clips.
Support for InfiniBand® networking protocol delivers
faster-than-real-time transfer of clips up to 2K 10-bit resolution.
standard file systems. Multiple Autodesk systems can connect to and
share the same storage, such as a SAN or NAS, resulting in
significantly faster media access and reduced media duplication (Linux
Motion Estimation Timewarp
- High-quality timewarp for speeding up or slowing down frame rate of a clip.
- Minimizes the telltale ghosting, softening, and stepping artifacts typical of traditional frame-averaging timewarps.
optical flow algorithms track changes in image pixels from frame to
frame and interpolate movement for crisp, clean rendering of extreme
- Enables interaction with onscreen motion vectors
to improve accuracy. Speed curves facilitate setup and animation of
Animation: Channel Editor
- Easily create and manipulate animations in the ubiquitous Channel Editor.
- 16x9 user interface is standardized across all Autodesk editing/finishing and visual effects systems applications.
capabilities include auto-keyframing, motion paths, expressions, and
fully editable spline curves with choice of interpolation and
- Convert expression and extrapolated curves into keyframed curves for additional manual control.
- Track Editor lets you view and slide individual keyframes on a track with multiple tracks or keyframes selected.
- Automatic and user-defined filters organize channel display for improved usability in large, complex setups.
- Create accurate animations based on user-programmed parameters.
- Full library of functions including mathematical, logical operators, conditional operators, vectors, and constants.
can be linked so that an object's rotation varies as a function of its
distance from a light source—as you animate the object's position, its
rotation is calculated automatically.
picture-based editing interface for easy viewing and intuitive clip
manipulation. Cut, splice, trim, and play clips with fast, simple
- Prepare, preview, and compare clips in any resolution and format.
- Transition effects and timewarp tools with fully animatable speed curves, as well as adjustable interframe mixing and trailing.
Advanced Media Player
- Player maximizes image display and minimizes interface clutter for ideal viewing conditions when playing clips.
- Provides letterbox masking and safe title overlays for precise viewing of intended result.
- Real-time playback of 8- and 10-bit 4:4:4 PAL, NTSC, HDTV, and 2K (2,048x1,556) resolutions at all standard frame rates.
- Simultaneous display of SD and HDTV video to a broadcast monitor (platform specific).
3:2 insertion and removal, as well as the ability to mark in/out points
and set cue marks for improved interactivity, faster editing, and
A-frame timecode setting.
- Import standard color lookup tables (LUTs) or create your own using the intuitive tools provided.
management tools accurately match the grain of different film stocks
and maintain homogenous grain across disparate elements used in the
composite (CGI, scans from different film types, etc.).
- Tools for sampling, removing, and applying grain independently on each color channel.
- Unlimited audio tracks with 32 tracks of real-time playback.
- Support for AudioDesk® workstation software in player and Batch timeline, including audio tools for mixing and mastering audio.
- Full audio editing functions, including cut, slip, timestretch with pitch correction control.
- Audio mixing capabilities with control of audio levels, pans, and EQ.
- Vari-speed audio scrubbing allows for precise work.
- Display audio waveform for syncing effects to sound.
- Dolby® E audio coding support.
- Soft effects can be applied to audio segments in the timeline.
- Import and export Broadcast Wave and MP3 files. NEW
- Direct ingest of Panasonic® P2 MXF files. NEW
- Soft import workflow and background proxy generation of soft-imported streaming media files. NEW
- Codec support for DV, DV25, DV50, DVCPRO HD compressed codecs. NEW
- Create, save, and load codec encoding profiles to quickly set up and launch encoding jobs. NEW
- Send encoding tasks directly to Autodesk® Cleaner® XL software for expanded Export Media format support.
- Flint HD features serial digital interface for both ITU-R 601 standard (PAL/NTSC) and SMPTE 292M high-definition video.
- VTR control capabilities via RS-422 support for real-time frame-accurate control of video devices.
- Two tracks of ADAT digital audio I/O: 1 ADAT input, 1 ADAT output.
- Analog and AES/EBU I/O audio connectivity via included converter.
- Support for VariCam footage with automatic frame rate conversion.
- File-based I/O for most popular graphics formats including TIFF, PICT, TARGA®, JPEG, Cineon™, DPX, SGI®, Softimage®, and Autodesk® 3ds Max® and Maya® software formats.
- Import Adobe Photoshop PSD files with options to maintain layer structure or flatten image.
- Import/export Apple® QuickTime files on Linux platforms.
16- and 32-bit floating-point OpenEXR image files. Framestore storage,
export, and editing support for 16-bit floating-point clips.
Conforming and Archiving
- Import/export standard EDL formats with cuts, dissolves, freeze-frames, vari-speed, reverses, split edits, and comments.
- Advanced conform tools for EDL, AAF, OMF (with audio media), and Apple® Final Cut Pro® XML files.
- Multilayer, mulitrack, or container assembly from multiple EDLs.
multilayer timeline that is 100 percent compatible with the timeline in
Autodesk Smoke and supports the complete set of Smoke soft effects. NEW
- EDL Editor for tweaking and revising EDLs. Sort EDLs for fast capture (A-, B-, C-, S-mode, and more).
- Convert EDL frame rates.
- Media unlinking and relinking.
- Automatic tape name assignation on file import.
- Recursively scan file directories for streamlined file import.
- Multi-Master Editing™ functionality—create multiple formats from a single master, including archiving to 720p tape.
project archiving for backup of selected clips, libraries, or the
entire project in a single operation. Setups can be archived together
with the media.
- Archives may be stored as files (on networked
drives or external USB or FireWire drives), on data tapes (LTO, DLT,
DTF, and others), or (multi) videotape (SD and HDTV VTR).
- Creates HTML/XML table of contents for fast browsing and retrieval. Selective restore from archives.
- Interoperates with Autodesk® Flame®, Autodesk® Inferno®, Autodesk Smoke, Autodesk® Combustion®, Autodesk Toxik, and Autodesk Lustre software and effects systems, and provides extensive support for Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Maya, and other 3D applications.
clip compatibility between all Autodesk editing and effects
applications. Supports multitrack, multilayer clips with containers and
- Soft-import image and audio files on shared storage
without making a local copy, and then publish results back to the open
- Open file system applications that support
Wiretap (such as Lustre and Combustion) can read and write Stone FS
clips directly from Autodesk Stone Direct storage.
Workflow and Productivity
- Support for Autodesk® Burn® background rendering solution in Batch and desktop modules, and in the Batch timeline.
- Integrated Autodesk® Backburner™ monitoring of Burn background renders.
- Project-based dual-view clip library provides media organization and sharing between separate Autodesk systems.
history automatically saves setups of rendered clips, providing a
nondestructive way to access intermediate results and to make changes
at any time.
- Extended search filters (search range of timecode, name, comment, and more).
hotkeys enable instant operation of commands and menu selections.
Comprehensive hotkey editor enables flexible user customization.
- Add notes to desktop clips that are also viewable in Autodesk Inferno, Autodesk Flame, and Autodesk Smoke.
- Online help and button tooltips provide quick access to documentation and button descriptions.
WiretapCentral software browses Autodesk systems clip libraries using a
network-connected web browser for quicker reviews and approvals. NEW
SystemCentral technology provides centralized diagnostic tools in a
web-based application that simplifies the process of running diagnostic
tests on your systems application. NEW